This large Government Department is responsible for delivering high quality in-house legal services and providing strategic legal advice and support to its Executive and Ministers. The branch actively manages legal risk for a variety of public sector issues. The work is fast paced, dynamic covers a range of areas including national security law, commercial law, employment law, migration and citizenship law, customs law and practice management.
Your new role as an APS5, APS6 or EL1 Legal Officer has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Providing legal advice about law as relevant to the position. The advice may be on high profile, complex, technical or sensitive issues and focuses on delivering accurate legal analysis, options and recommendations. It also requires strategic management and assessment of legal risks.
- Providing and managing legal services in accordance with the Legal Services Directions 2017.
- Liaising with, and actively developing and maintaining working relationships across the Branch, the wider Department and with external stakeholders.
- Representing the Department's interests and positions during liaison and negotiation with external stakeholders.
- Maintaining detailed knowledge of specific legislation, case law, directions, instruments, principles and issues of relevance to the Department.
- Creating complete and accurate records in accordance with the Department’s Recordkeeping Policy.
- Providing legal clearance, mentoring and professional support to other legal professionals.
You must be an Australian Citizen, eligible to hold a practising certificate and maintain the requisite professional development requirements. You must be able to provide legal advice and assistance, and ensure the advice provided is legally correct, appropriately contextual, practical and effectively informs the Department’s management of legal risk.
In return, you will get exposure to a wide range of legal issues and get further experience in legal advice writing and research. You will have the opportunity to work alongside large teams of like-minded legal professionals and the opportunity to rotate through various sections to develop your skill set.
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV. If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.LHS 297508